Douglas, William O.
1949 brief TLS from Justice Douglas on visiting the University of Virginia Law School
Autograph ID: 6338
Condition: Very good, two file holes at top
Description: “(1898-1980) SEC Commissioner 1936 & Chairman 1937-39, Associate Justice 1939-1975. Great civil libertarian, authored opinion in Griswold v. Connecticut (1965) which established a constitutional right to privacy. Noted outdoorsman, environmentalist and author.
TLS while Associate Justice on 10 x 8 1/2 engraved Court Chambers letterhead, Washington, to Thurman Hill, Washington (Hill had previously been General Counsel of the US Treasury Department), January 27 1949. Douglas has Hill’s letter and heard from Dean Ribble and said to him that Douglas would try to get to the University of Virginia Law School in May.
FREDERICK D. G. (“DEANE” RIBBLE (1898-1970) College of William and Mary BA 1916, University of Virginia MA 1917, LLB 1921. In 1921 he became the youngest member of the UVA law faculty, promoted to full professor 1927. A respected constitutional law scholar, he became dean in 1939 and remained in that job until 1963. His leadership is credited with securing the University’s place as a school of national standing and with doubling enrollment. He was on the US Commission for UNESCO 1946-51 and a delegate to UNESCO Conferences in Beirut, 1948, and Paris, 1951. He represented the US at the 1950 Geneva Conference on Freedom of Information. Ribble was also a strong advocate of civil rights and worked actively for the cause in the 1960s. He was especially disturbed by the closing of Prince Edward County’s public schools and helped form the Free School Association which provided catch-up education for black children in the last school year (1963-64) in which public schools were closed. This successful program, for which Ribble was treasurer, was funded by public donations and supported by US Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, a former student of Ribble. In 1961 Ribble received the University’s highest honor, the Thomas Jefferson Award. He retired in 1966.”